I guess I’m a little behind in sharing. I have now finished 4 quilts on my new Bernina Quilt Frame using Quilt Motion. I also did what many of you will gasp when you hear. I didn’t do any “testing” with it. I jumped right in with a “real” quilt which was a baby quilt for a good friend who had a little boy back in May. I was very nervous to mess it up because it wasn’t just a panel baby quilt. I had bought a nice kit and pieced it. Thankfully everything went well and the quilt turned out as I hoped. I had a bit more trouble on quilt #2 which was a quilt for myself so it wasn’t that big a deal. Sorry I’m getting ahead of myself. That is a story for the next post. This quilt has fun colors and had fish so I picked a continuous line fish design and on the alternating rows I did a wave design. I decided rather than quilt block, by block, I’d do a pantograph. Here’s a photo of the finished quilt.
Here’s a close up of the cute little fish block.
Now here’s a close up of the wave blocks.
What fun this is. I was getting in a rut with my free-motion stippling. I have yet to try “driving” the frame myself. I figured I paid for the software/hardware of Quilt Motion, I’m going to use it. I learn something new with every quilt. The only problem I had with this one was the thread kept breaking even though I slowed the stitch-out speed way down. I was using a poly rayon variegated thread. When I switched to my old stand by of King Tut Superior Thread it started working like a charm. I have found that cotton threads are the only ones that work for me without breakage.
While it was scary starting out with a real quilt, the results were good and I’m glad I did it. Hope to get the other three quilts posted soon and share the experiences with the new toy.
Until then, happy sewing & quilting!