A Place to Share Sewing & Quilting Experiences

Last Friday I had a slight panic attack.  I had a baby shower the next day and didn’t have my gift made.  I’m one of those crazies who can’t just go out and buy a shower gift.  I have to make something.  Our pastor’s wife is having twins and we had a church-wide baby shower last Saturday.  They are having a girl and a boy and had picked green and brown as the nursery colors.  I usually like to make quilts for babies to be, but I like to give them when the children are born so I can customize a label.  Usually I make my custom baby bibs, but I wanted to do something different.

I was running out of time.  I had ordered the cutest pattern for a diaper bag a week ago and as of Friday morning it still hadn’t arrived…yikes!  So I went for an adventure dig in my closet.  I found some bag patterns that would fit the bill, then I found a baby quilt pattern which had diaper bag instructions…we have a winner!  The diaper bag called for a strip of pieced blocks, but I knew time was too short for that.  The pattern was “Butterfly Flip” by Atkinson Design.  I love their patterns and this one was no exception.  I hit a few bumps and snags along the way, but I was happy with the end result.

Here’s a quick peek at the finished diaper bag.

"His and Hers Diaper Bag"

There were zippered pockets on each side, so I thought a his and hers pocket would be good to help the parents keep track of what belongs to who…especially with medicine and pacifiers.  I embroidered His and Hers on each respective pocket.

"His Side Diaper Bag"

Here’s a peek at one of the embroidered pockets.  I love these fabrics and colors.

"Pocket Close Up"

The bag had you quilt the pieces, then sew them together.  There is an elastic gathered pocket on one end of the bag for a bottle, cell phone or such.  Here’s a view of that pocket.

"Gathered Pocket"

The crowning touch came to me when I was about finished with the project.  I took matching ribbon and put through each zipper pull and attached a pacifier clip to each side of the bag.  That way no swapping around of pacifiers.  OK, it is a little hard to see.  Maybe I should have picked a pacifier clip that wasn’t green.

"Pacifier Clip Pocket"

Once the bag was done, I went shopping for baby goodies to fill the bag.  This was a fun project, but I wished I had gotten my act together and started before the day before the shower.  Six hours hard sewing at one time really was a bit rough.  It was all worth it though.  I’m usually one of those who plans months ahead of time.  Guess I’m getting slow or lazy in my old age.  Maybe I just like the stress…not!

I’ve already started on my next project (actually there was a Valentine’s Day quilt for me in between these projects that I just finished up the top for).  My quilt guild makes quilts for an “at risk” preschool program called Bright Stars.  I’ve committed to making four of these 40″ x 50″ quilts by our SpringFest meeting in early May.  I have all four tops pieced (they were panels with borders mostly) so hopefully I’m on track.  I also have a Christmas ornament project I want to share with you.  Lots to share, just not a lot of time to write about it (or take photos).

Until next time, happy sewing & quilting!

Melinda

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: