I finished my 4th Bright Stars charity quilt this past weekend and have moved on to the next project. I’m getting a little behind with sharing, so here goes. I had a few issues with the quilting on this final quilt, but I think it was because I was rushing to get to the end and start the next project. I tried a few more new to me free-motion stitches. We I should say I attempted them, and then some of them became my own creation. I quilted around the motifs in the panel first which was the easy part, then I stippled around the sky and background parts. This panel had a few small borders that I thought would be good to practice some of my new skills. Well I should have practiced on a “sandwich” first, but I tend to be very impatient. I still am happy with how the quilt came out, but I’ll share a few of my trials so maybe you can learn from my mistakes.
I thought it would be nice to do a string of pearls in the narrow border. Ok, free-motion stitching a good circle was a lot harder than I imagined. Leah Day on my Craftsy.com class made it look so easy. Yes, I know, she’s an expert and has done it a lot. I gave myself a break and just did arcs along the border. If you don’t count the first wobbly circle, the border looks pretty good. Then I decided to try river path in the large borders. My mistake was using red thread on red fabric. I couldn’t see where I was going…especially when quilting away from myself. To top it off, I ran over one of my basting pins and bent my needle. In the same few minutes, I spilled my container of basting pins, not once, but twice. You would think I would have given up and came back to it later, but I can be pretty stubborn…especially nearing the end of a project.
Here’s Bright Stars quilt #4. I just hope the kids getting these quilts enjoy them. It was a good practice for my new free-motion stitches I’ve learned. I need lots of practice, so I do find myself going back to my old stand by of stippling.
Here’s a close up of the quilting.
Here’s a photo of some echo quilting around the sunflowers…this was fun.
I’ve already started and finished my prayer quilt and have turned it over to a friend who is going to machine stitch ribbons on the blocks to make it an official prayer quilt. I don’t want to post that project until the quilt has been delivered to its recipient, but that will be soon I hope. I just took 120 charm squares (including the Prayer Shawl blocks from Block Party Studios…love their stuff) and sewed them into rows. It made a nice lap quilt size. Ok, I’m giving too much away. I’ll save it for the next post.
Until next time, happy sewing & quilting,